2015/01/24

The Knight: chapter 5

5. Secrets


It was rather late when we got back. Half past eight or so. The house was all quiet and dark.
We hung our coats and mom went to the kitchen straight away. She had the food that granny gave us with her, and started to heat it up in the microwave. My grandmother always manages to cook too much food, and every time we’re there she insists on us bringing some home.
A lovely smell of chicken and potatoes filled our kitchen.
Are you hungry, mom?” I asked as I went to stand beside her. I knew I was still feeling very stuffed from dinner and all the biscuits I had gulped down during the day.
Mom laughed softly when she heard my question.
Of course not,” she said. “Christopher might be, though.”
Ah, it’s for Chris.”
She answered me yes and then squeezed my arm in that loving way only moms and dads can do.
She put the plate and a glass of water on a tray and went upstairs with it. I did my very best to keep up with her, but it didn’t seem like she wanted me to come with her.
Wait, mom!” I complained.
She didn’t listen to me, but I increased my steps and got to his door at the same time she did.
Christopher was awake for once. He sat on his bed with his legs close up to his body and his arms wrapped around them, like he was hugging his knees. He wore a grey t-shirt so I could see his arms. He had very fair skin. I suddenly remembered the pain he had in one of the arms this morning and as soon as I remembered that I could tell why. His left arm was very red and bruised. It even looked painful.
Mike, you shouldn’t be in here now,” mom said and immediately woke me up from the thoughts about the knight’s sore arm.
But I want to stay.” I insisted and tried to make eye contact with Chris.
The young man hadn’t said a word. He was just sitting there, clinging on to his legs and looking at us silently.
Oscar came in to the room.
You heard your mother, Mike,” he said. “It’s bedtime anyway.”
He was right. I hate when adults are right, because they’re always right somehow.
Alright,” I mumbled grumpily.
I went out and let Oscar close the door behind me. I meant to get back in there eventually, but it was no use as I heard the door click when I left. That could only mean one thing; it meant that he’d locked the door.
I sulked a bit. It was hard for me to understand why I couldn’t be there when Christopher was eating. Of course I knew he was sick, but it was just food.
I went to the bathroom and started to brush my teeth. Dad entered the room as well. He usually helps me to brush my teeth thoroughly. Despite my grumpy mood I was starting to enjoy myself in the bathroom. I have a rubber duck in the bath tub and every now and then I let him swim in the sink as well. Today was one of those days.
I held the yellow duck underneath the surface for a little while and laughed when it made tiny bubbles.
Dad laughed too, mostly because I was laughing, I think. I was just about to dry Tony the duck with a pink towel when I heard a noise coming from Christopher’s room.
It wasn’t a loud noise. It was actually very hard to hear it at all, but I heard it. It was a muffled shout followed by some quiet sobs.
I think dad heard it too.
Let’s go to bed now, Mike,” he said and made me let go of Tony.
It was a weird situation. Dad got very nervous after hearing the sound and insisted that I’d go to sleep. He held my hand and led me to my room.
Is Christopher sad?” I asked him on the way to my room.
What makes you ask that?” he wondered without taking any notice of my will to go and see what was going on with Christopher.
I heard him…”
Mike,” said dad harshly before I got the opportunity to finish the sentence. I knew at once it was no idea to argue any further. “It’s bedtime now. Put on your pyjamas.”
I did just as I was told, but I refused to actually go to sleep until mom came in to kiss me goodnight. It took her a few more minutes than it took me to get dressed and ready for bed. I was waiting for her with dad by my side when she came in to my room.
She smiled when she saw me ready and waiting:
Ready that quick today, eh?”
Yes, mom,” I said, but of course I couldn’t stop myself just after saying that. I had to ask about Chris, especially since dad hadn’t told me anything at all. “Mom,” I said. “Is Christopher sad?”
What?” mom didn’t seem to understand what I meant and I had to explain it to her:
I heard him cry.”
Oh… You did, did you?” she seemed a bit anxious and hesitated at first, not knowing what to say. She started to run out of excuses. “Mike,” she said at last “Do you remember this morning? When Chris had pain in his arm?”
I nodded and mom continued the story very carefully:
“The reason to why that was, is because his arm was hurt so bad it had gone slightly out of place… Nurses can fix that kind of thing, and that’s what I’ve just done to Christopher. I forced his arm back in place, so he’ll be able to use it again without the nasty pain.
She made a thoughtful pause before continuing: “So you’re right, Mike. He was crying a little, but he’s better now.”
I nodded again. I could understand why he was upset then – forcing an arm back in place sounded horrible.
“… Now, Michael, now you have to go to sleep,” mom said. “Okay?”

No comments:

Post a Comment