2015/01/25

The Knight: chapter 6

6. Stories


I didn’t sleep well at all that night. I had strange dreams about Christopher and his sore arm. Something about the whole situation bothered me but I couldn’t tell what it was. I reckoned all of them feelings would go away as soon as I got to spend some time with Chris and get to know him better.


I woke up early the following morning, way too early for my parents to be up, and decided to go and see the young man all on my own - this time without asking anyone for permission. I was sure I’d get a no if I asked, and besides, they were all still asleep.
Perhaps Christopher could read to me, I thought to myself. I knew I couldn’t play with him properly because of his illness, but we could read.
I went up and walked over to my bookshelf. I didn’t have a lot of books to choose from, but I had some that I liked. I took three of them with me and sneaked out of my bedroom and off to Chris’s room.
I was lucky enough to find the door both unlocked and ajar this time.
Hello?” I mumbled shyly and went in.
The young man was lying in his bed, as always, but he was awake this time.
Hey,” he answered me, with a voice no stronger than a whisper.
I looked at him for a little while before I went over to his bedside. He looked tired in a way but he didn’t seem to mind me being there. As a matter of fact, I think he very much liked my company.
Can’t you sleep either?” I wondered and sat myself down on the knight’s bed.
He shook his head slowly before replying:
I have barely slept at all.”
I felt kind of sorry for him even though I was in a similar situation when it came to insomnia. I looked at the three books I’d chosen and carefully removed two of them.
Can you read to me, Christopher?” I asked.
Christopher struggled to sit up, trying not to support himself on the hurt arm. He must’ve been in pain still, but he never mentioned it. The only reason to why I knew it hurt him was because of the faces he made. He silently took the book I was handing him, whereupon he browsed a few pages. I was satisfied with my choice. I had chosen a book with just a little text and many nice pictures.
Read!” I encouraged him cheerfully and crawled closer. ”Please?”
He nodded:
Once upon a time there was a knight…”
I smiled. Christopher wasn’t reading very well. He had difficulties pronouncing all the words properly and he really struggled in order to get them right. The knight also had an unusual accent but it didn’t matter so much that I barely understood the words he mumbled. Maybe it was the lack of sleep that made him so unfocused, but I was happy anyway. He had his arm around me as I was sitting very close to him while he was reading me the book. It was nice.
I yawned, as the tiredness had come creeping up on me, but I kept smiling still. It was great to sit together with the knight. Finally I got to spend some time with him.
However the happiness didn’t last very long. Mom was awake and looking for me. If I’d only heard her cry out for me a little sooner I would’ve hid somewhere. I knew I wasn’t supposed to be in Christopher’s room.
Mike, are you in here?” mom whispered before she opened the door.
Chris immediately went quiet and shut the book straight away. He slipped it discretely onto my lap and waited for what would happen with mom in the room.
There you are!” she said. She sounded relieved in a way, as if I’d gone far and was nowhere to be seen until now.
Sorry,” I said “I couldn’t sleep.”
Mom looked at me. She was newly awoken and not yet dressed properly. She wore her green robe and slippers. Her hair wasn’t even combed yet, but still put up in an untidy hairdo. She looked at the both of us, not really knowing what to say.
Have you forgotten what day it is today, Mike?” she asked.
Sunday?”
I was confused. What was so special with today?
It’s the first of December”, mom continued. “And you know what that means, don’t you?”
I needn’t think long to realise what she was getting at.
Christmas decorations!” I burst out, happily remembering last year’s glittery ornaments.
Exactly,” mom beamed and took my hand. “Let’s have some breakfast and then we’ll start.” She then turned to Christopher who had gone really quiet. “I’ll make sure you get something to eat as well, just stay here. Okay?”
Chris looked at her grimly.
Thanks.”
After locking the door behind us, mom brought me to the kitchen.
You locked the door, mom,” I pointed out as we were reaching the stairs.
Yes.”
“But that means Christopher can’t get out.”
It’s what has to be done, sweetheart,” she said. “It was supposed to be locked during the night also. The boy is sleepwalking and we need to protect him. He was on his way outdoors the other night, he could’ve frozen to death if it wasn’t for your dad stopping him.”
I went silent. I had no idea Christopher was sleepwalking. Normally I would’ve bothered her with even more questions about it but I was hungry and suddenly quite tired.
Dad and Oscar were already in the kitchen, preparing breakfast. Mom’s brother looked at us with a grin on his face:
I think I can guess where you found him,” Oscar commented, seemingly amused by the whole situation.
I felt a bit ashamed. I knew I had done something I wasn’t really allowed to do.
He just read me a book,” I said defensively while I sat down and started eating big spoonfuls of cereal. “Reading won’t make him sicker.”
Dad put some sliced bread on the table and looked at me with his green eyes.
First of December, eh?” he said calmly, thereby changing the subject. “How about putting some lamps up in the garden this afternoon?”
“Great!” I said with a huge smile. I really like hanging out with my father, especially when it comes to putting up lamps or doing something practical. He’s a carpenter, so I like it extra. If I hadn’t my mind set on being a fireman I’d be a carpenter for sure.
Why don’t you help mom with some indoors decorations first, while I go and get some new lamps?” he continued and I responded eagerly that sounded great.

So after breakfast I did exactly what dad told me. Mom and I went pottering in the downstairs living room. There were many boxes with Christmas stuff to open but I quickly decided to get the glitter and the stable out.
I don’t think Christopher is from here, mom,” I said while trying my best to assemble the crib ornament in the living room. Jesus kept falling out of his bed and one of the kings had gone missing.
Mom suddenly stopped putting the red curtains with snowflake print on the curtain rod and stared at me.
Why do you think that?” she asked.
I shrugged my shoulders:
He has a funny way of talking.”
She continued fixing the curtain with a soft smile playing on her lips.
You know what, Mike?” she said. “You’re right. Christopher isn’t from Chicago like you and me. He’s from Washington.”
Oh,” I didn’t know what to say. He didn’t strike me as a Washington person. I was almost certain the accent I had heard was not a Washington one. On the other hand, he barely spoke at all.
Have you been talking to him a lot?”
“Nah, not really. He’s terribly quiet.”
My mother seemed to be content with the answer I gave. It didn’t please me as much, though, and I continued forcing Jesus back in the crib. In all honesty, I was sulking a bit while doing so. All I really wanted was for me and Chris to be friends.
Mom looked at me. She could tell it bothered me that the young knight refused to speak.
Honey,” she said with a gloomy smile. “Don’t take it out on Jesus… You know Christopher is ill. I’m sure he would love to talk to you and play with you if only he had been feeling better.”
I let go of the little wooden doll and started searching for the missing king in one of the boxes next to me instead. She was right.

Dad and I spent the afternoon putting up lamps in the garden. Oscar helped as well. It was great fun. I always enjoy spending time with them, doing things. In the past Oscar would come visit maybe once per two months and not stay very long. This time was different and I was glad it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment